Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Favorite Skirt: Rub-Off In Progress! needle & thREAD

Oh my, I am on a roll with the rub-off technique.

Good morning sewing friends, especially those of you joining us from Elizabeth's needle and thREAD.  Last week I shared how I took a RTW dress and used it as a pattern to make another dress for my daughter, with some alterations for modesty.  This week I'm sharing how I used the same technique to make one of my very very very favorite skirts. Do you have a garment like that? One that you love and fits well and is easy to wear?

This is the RTW skirt. Its basic black and has some great little flares on the bottom sides. The lined skirt is made of a stable knit, has a side invisible zip, and a yoke-style waist. Its so comfy, and the fit is perfect. I'd like another please.



Aren't those flounces sweet and feminine? Yes they are. 

It happened one day I saw my dream fabric in the local Fabricland - a mustard colored, thick, buttery, ponte de Roma knit. On sale. Mmmmm. 

And went to work. Rub, rub, rub-off.







Its not near finished, I need to add the yoke waistband, install the zip, and the lining. Hmmm, I sure I hope I get to wear it this season! I think its going to look fun with a gray knit wrap top, or anything black. Now, mustard is a color I love but I wouldn't normally put near my face because it would look horrible on me, but its perfectly acceptable to put a bright color on the bottom with a neutral on top. Like this black sweater (with a T-shirt of course).  I can do that!




If you're interested in the rub-off technique, I highly recommend Steffani Lincecum's Patternmaking for a Perfect Fit: Using the Rub-off Technique to Re-create and Redesign Your Favorite Fashions.  And of course, Sunni's blog. With these two weapons of mass instruction, you really CAN do this!

As for reading this week, I'm afraid I haven't done much. Seems anytime I might sneak a minute to read here and there I'm interrupted, you know, typical family life! Not sure how any sewing ever gets done cause it has to wait till kids are in bed if its going to happen at all. Whereas reading is here and there. Up next for Classic Moms class is To Kill a Mockingbird, and its been a while since I really read it. Like, grade 7.  So will be digging that out of the archives.

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend! God bless all your sewing and reading adventures! Thanks for peeking and thanks, Elizabeth, for hosting!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your skirt looks great. I hope you're able to get some wear this season.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Let's talk!